If you migrated to Australia, have permanent residence, satisfy the residential requirements and are of good character you may be eligible for citizenship by Conferral.
- Spouse Or Partner Of An Australian
- Australian Citizenship By Birth
- Australian Citizenship By Adoption
- New Zealand Citizens Living In Australia
- Person Who Lost Or Gave Up Australian Citizenship
If you became a permanent resident before 1 July 2007 and you apply before 30 June 2010 you must:
- have been living in Australia for 2 years as a permanent resident in the 5 years immediately before applying, including one year in the 2 years immediately before applying.
If you became a permanent resident on or after 1 July2007 you must:
- have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before to applying, including one yearas a permanent resident immediately before applying, and
- not have been absent from Australia for more than one year, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.
SPOUSE OR PARTNER OF AN AUSTRALIAN
You may be eligible for a variation to the residence requirement. Time spent living overseas as a permanent resident, together with your Australian citizen spouse or partner, may be counted as time spent in Australia, providing you can demonstrate a close connection to Australia.
This also applies to the surviving spouse or partner of an Australian citizen and interdependent partners of Australian citizens.
AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH
If you were born in Australia prior to 20 august 1986
- You were born in Australia after 20 August 1986, and one of your parents held Australian citizenship or an Australian permanent residence visa at the time of birth (exemptions may be available); or
- You spent the first 10 years in Australia since your birth (10th birthday acquisition).
Citizenship by Descent
If you were born outside of Australia and at the time of your birth at least one of your parents was an Australian citizen then you may be eligible for citizenship by descent.
AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP BY ADOPTION
If you were adopted by an Australian citizen parent, you may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship by adoption.
NEW ZEALAND CITIZENS LIVING IN AUSTRALIA
As a New Zealand citizen your eligibility for Australian citizenship depends on whether you arrived in Australia before or after 26 February 2001.
PERSON WHO LOST OR GAVE UP AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP
You may be eligible to become an Australian citizen again if you lost your citizenship because of acquiring the citizenship of another country, or renounced or gave up your Australian citizenship.
If you require further information on Australian citizenship or wish to have your eligibility assessed for Australian citizenship please contact me.